Ex-UFC star Cain Velasquez reunites with family as he’s released after being jailed over attempted murder of man accused of sexually assaulting his son

- Advertisement -

Former UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez has reunited with his family after spending close to a year in prison for allegedly attempting to shoot a man accused of molesting his child.

Velasquez, 43, was handed a five-year prison sentence after chasing and shooting at the vehicle of Harry Goularte, who was charged with molesting his four-year-old son, only to miss Goularte and strike his stepfather with a bullet. 

The ex-MMA fighter, who had been on house arrest since November 2022, pleaded no contest to charges of felony attempted murder and assault, as well as weapons charges, before being sentenced in March of last year.

Almost a year later, Velasquez has been released from prison on parole after a total of 1,283 days in custody, having received credit for time he spent in the county jail and on house arrest leading to his 2024 trial.

In a video captured by Mariachi Jalisciense, via MMA reporter Nolan King, he is seen getting dropped off by a shuttle and greeting his children after leaving the California prison on Sunday.

To mark the special occasion, a mariachi band were even performing as he arrived back home in a welcome-home party for the retired fighter.

Ex-Ufc Star Cain Velasquez Has Reunited With His Family After Spending Close To A Year In Prison

Ex-UFC star Cain Velasquez has reunited with his family after spending close to a year in prison

Velasquez, 43, Was Handed A Five-Year Prison Sentence In March 2025
He Allegedly Chased And Shot At The Vehicle Of A Man Charged With Molesting His Four-Year-Old Son

Velasquez, 43, was handed a five-year prison sentence in March 2025 after chasing and shooting at the vehicle of a man charged with molesting his four-year-old son

The Former Heavyweight Champion Is Now Back Home With His Wife And Two Children After Being Released On Parole Sunday

The former heavyweight champion is now back home with his wife and two children after being released on parole Sunday

According to ESPN, Goularte is still facing a felony charge of lewd acts with a minor, while Velasquez has also filed a civil case against him. 

Velasquez, who has expressed remorse over the incident despite the accusations leveled against Goularte, previously reached a deal with prosecutors to avoid a life sentence after several trial delays.

Speaking previously on the Kyle Kingsbury podcast, he acknowledged that his actions were ‘very dangerous to other people.’

‘Not just people involved, but to innocent people. I understand what I did and I’m willing to do everything I have to pay that back,’ Velasquez said.

He added that he has forgiven the Goularte family who ran the daycare where the alleged molestation happened. 

‘Even with that family and what they’ve done, I can’t have hate like that for them,’ he said. ‘Because there are things that I have to move on to and give love to my kids and give love to the people around.’ 

Velasquez’s MMA career was highlighted by his two UFC title wins. He won the title by defeating Brock Lesnar in 2010 before losing to Junior dos Santos in his first defense. He’d go on to regain the title in their 2012 rematch but dropped it to Fabricio Werdum shortly after.

He retired in 2019 with a 14-3 record after getting knocked out by Francis Ngannou.


- Advertisement -

Related articles

Share article

Latest articles

Newsletter

Subscribe to stay updated.