Joe Scott has left his post as Air Force basketball coach – just a month after he was suspended pending an investigation into his treatment of cadets.
Assistant coach Jon Jordan had been serving as interim coach while Scott was away from the team. But on Friday, the academy announced ‘a mutual parting of ways.’
The 60-year-old returned for a second stint as coach of the Falcons, who represent the United States Air Force Academy in Colorado, back in 2020.
The Falcons are 47-129 since then, winning just four games last season. They have won only three so far this year, losing their last 19 in a row. And the academy decided that the time had come for a ‘new voice’ and a ‘new approach.’
‘Coach Scott’s passion for the game of basketball has long been evident in his competitive and direct coaching style,’ athletic director Nathan Pine said.
‘It was this coaching style that guided Air Force Basketball to some of the program’s most memorable achievements during his initial tenure at the Air Force Academy.’

Joe Scott has left his post as Air Force coach – a month after he was suspended indefinitely

‘Now is the right time for a new voice and a new approach,’ the academy announced on Friday
‘This is a different day, and now is the right time for a new voice and a new approach to drive the culture and success of the men’s basketball program, aligned with the Air Force Academy’s mission of forging leaders of character developed to lead in our Air Force and Space Force.’
Scott was 97-183 in charge of the Falcons, first leading the team from 2000 to 2004 – a stint that ended with a 22-7 record. He guided Air Force to its first – and only – Mountain West title and also secured a first NCAA tournament appearance in more than four decades.
After spending time at Princeton, his alma mater, and Denver, he returned to Air Force in 2020.
‘I thank Nate Pine for his leadership. The Air Force Academy gave me my first head coaching opportunity and I am forever grateful,’ Scott said. ‘We will always be fans of Air Force Basketball.’
