World Cup chaos in Foxborough as town threatens to CANCEL matches at Gillette Stadium

- Advertisement -

Foxborough has threatened to pull the plug on World Cup matches taking place at Gillette Stadium if it does not receive vital security funding.

The Massachusetts town is scheduled to host seven fixtures in the major soccer tournament, including a quarterfinal, at its 64,628-seater stadium this summer.

Though less than four months out from the first of those games – with Haiti due to face Scotland at the home of the New England Patriots on June 13 – Foxborough is yet to receive the $7.8million required for security costs.

Town officials have stressed that they can’t afford to front the seven-figure fee and wait to be reimbursed, meaning the arena is still lacking major safety equipment ahead of the World Cup.

‘It’s the equivalent of seven Super Bowls here and 39 days of coverage, which is not small and not to be lost. We have to secure that facility for 39 days straight,’ said Bill Yukna, a member of Foxborough’s select board.

‘It comes down to sounding like Foxborough is being the bad guys here, but we really aren’t. All we’re trying to do is protect our citizens,’ Yukna added.

Foxborough Has Threatened To Cancel World Cup Matches Taking Place At Gillette Stadium

Foxborough has threatened to cancel World Cup matches taking place at Gillette Stadium

The Major Soccer Tournament Is Set To Be Held On Us Soil In Just Under Four Months' Time

The major soccer tournament is set to be held on US soil in just under four months’ time

The town board met on Tuesday night to try and get an answer about the funding for security, explaining that it will withhold the essential entertainment license until they are reimbursed several million dollars. The deadline for the entertainment license is March 17.

‘The money has to be here. Everyone thinks we have a football stadium in this town, but with that being said we’re a small town. We have 18,000 people,’ said select board member Stephanie McGowan.

Boston 2026 Host Committee Chair Mike Loynd claims the White House is working on a daily basis with Homeland Security and the Federal Emergency Management Agency to secure grant funding.

However, Homeland Security is currently shut down due to government funding that lapsed on Saturday, which could affect when Foxborough can expect funding.

Last month, the Foxborough Police Department, Massachusetts State Police and Boston Police were awarded a collective $11million in grant funding to protect against ‘malicious drone activity’ during World Cup matches and American 250 events.


- Advertisement -

Related articles

Share article

Latest articles

Newsletter

Subscribe to stay updated.