Mark Clattenburg faces calls to be sacked after comments on Vinicius Jr alleged racism incident

- Advertisement -

Former Premier League referee Mark Clattenburg is facing mounting pressure to be removed from broadcasting duties following his remarks during Real Madrid’s Champions League victory over Benfica on Tuesday evening.

Working as a pundit for Amazon Prime Video, Clattenburg stated that Vinicius Junior “has not helped himself” after the Brazilian winger reported alleged racist abuse during the match at Estadio da Luz.


“Vinicius Jr has not helped himself. He’s made this difficult for the referee,” Clattenburg said during the live coverage. “He’s scored a wonderful goal and all he has to do – yes, celebrate – is return back. But he has made this situation very, very difficult.”

The former official suggested the forward’s actions had complicated matters for match referee Francois Letexier.

Vinicius JrVinicius Jr was left furious during Real Madrid’s Champions League win over Benfica | GETTY

Anti-discrimination campaigner Troy Townsend MBE, who has spent over a decade working with Kick It Out, led demands for the former referee’s removal from television work.

“He should never be involved in commentary again,” Townsend wrote on social media.

Kick It Out issued a statement condemning the approach taken during the broadcast.

“When anyone reports discrimination in football, or anywhere, the first priority is that they are listened to and feel supported,” the organisation said.

“Focusing on Vinicius Jr’s goal celebration or the history of the club, instead of acknowledging the report, is a form of gaslighting.”

Mark Clattenburg

Mark Clattenburg is facing calls to be removed from his position at Amazon Prime Sport

|
GETTY

The charity emphasised that football leaders bear responsibility for setting appropriate standards, adding that such moments demand leadership reinforcing respect, inclusion and accountability.

The incident unfolded shortly after half-time when Vinicius bent a stunning shot into the top corner to give Real Madrid the lead.

The winger celebrated by dancing in front of a corner flag, receiving a yellow card for his actions.

Following the booking, Vinicius alleged he had been subjected to racial abuse by Benfica’s Argentinian player Gianluca Prestianni, who had covered his mouth while confronting the Madrid forward.

Referee Letexier immediately activated UEFA’s three-step racism protocol, bringing the match to a halt for approximately ten minutes.

Both sets of players left the pitch during the stoppage, with Jose Mourinho attempting to calm Vinicius down.

When play resumed, the Brazilian was jeered by home supporters each time he touched the ball and was later struck by a water bottle thrown from the stands.

Gianluca PrestianniGianluca Prestianni hid his face while speaking with Vinicius Jr in Benfica’s Champions League defeat to Real Madrid | GETTY

Vinicius responded to the incident on Instagram, describing those who engage in racist behaviour as fundamentally weak.

“Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts in their mouths to show how weak they are,” he wrote. “But they have the protection of others who, theoretically, have an obligation to punish them.”

Prestianni denied directing any discriminatory language towards the Real Madrid star, claiming the Brazilian had misunderstood what was said.

Benfica defended their player, posting footage of the confrontation and arguing the distance between players meant Real Madrid’s squad could not have heard what they claimed.


- Advertisement -

Related articles

Share article

Latest articles

Newsletter

Subscribe to stay updated.