Powerhouse prop Addin Fonua-Blake says it would be a ‘great feeling’ to experience the brutality of State of Origin – and he revealed who he would be eligible for.
Since Monday’s news of the new eligibility laws, which allow Kiwi and English players to play Origin as long as they were born in or played football in NSW or Queensland before they turned 13, a host of players have become eligible.
Previously, players born in or who represented New Zealand and England were unable to play for NSW or Queensland because they both are tier-one nations.
Fonua-Blake, who played most of his football in NSW for Mascot Jets before he turned 13, couldn’t play for NSW because he played one game for New Zealand against Scotland at the 2017 World Cup.
Now a path has been cleared for Fonua-Blake to step into rugby league’s most demanding arena.
‘I’m 100 per cent NSW,’ Fonua-Blake said.

Sharks prop Addin Fonua-Blake played one game for New Zealand which made him ineligible for State of Origin (pictured, after a Test match for Tonga)

Playing alongside Payne Haas for the NSW Blues is something Fonua-Blake has dreamed of

Despite being born in Sydney and having played all his football in NSW, Victor Radley has not been able to play Origin because he decided to represent England
‘Big rivalries like that (Origin), it’s something in sport people love and to be a part of it would be a great feeling.’
The Sharks front-rower admitted he’s felt sad watching State of Origin in recent years on TV at home because he considered himself a Blue.
He even said last June he was ‘jealous’ watching the contests.
Fonua-Blake will continue to play Test football for Tonga and while he pointed out that he hasn’t made the NSW team just yet, he dreams of partnering Payne Haas in the front row for Origin I in Sydney on May 27.
‘Payne’s a generational talent. No doubt when he’s finished up, he’ll probably be an Immortal of the game,’ Fonua-Blake said.
‘To have the chance to play alongside him, that’s something that would be pretty special. I’ll be taking notes off him if I ever get that chance.’
Others who are now eligible to play State of Origin include Penrith young gun Casey McLean, Roosters lock Victor Radley and Fonua-Blake’s Sharks teammate Briton Nikora.
The Sharks back-rower moved to the Gold Coast from New Zealand when he was nine and attended renowned rugby league high school Keebra Park.

Sharks second-rower Briton Nikora can now play for Queensland – and added he is ready to take a phone call from coach Billy Slater

Queensland lock Pat Carrigan has welcomed the new rule changes from the NRL
He’s declared he’s ready to be a Maroon.
‘If it comes, I won’t back down from that arena, I’ll be keen and if he (Billy Slater) wanted to have a chat with me…I’d put my hand up for it straight away,’ Nikora said.
The Sharks forward said Fonua-Blake should walk straight into the NSW team this year.
‘Him and Payne Haas lining up together…you never thought you’d see it,’ Nikora said.
Broncos lock Pat Carrigan backed the NRL’s new Origin rules, although former Kangaroos coach Mal Meninga warned the Australian team risked being decimated.
Some fans online were not happy with the new rules.
‘Congratulations V’landys, Abdo and Pearce. You’ve turned origin into a circus,’ one said.
‘Origin is Queensland v NSW and a pathway to playing for Australia. Origin will be nothing more than an All-Star game,’ another said.
